Friday, October 26, 2012

HERSHEY GRUNGE

I jestingly threw out the title "Hershey Grunge" while editing these outfit photos after I noticed that my American Apparel tee featured two shades of chocolatey brown. Paired with the platform Skechers boots and torn Levis cutoffs, I had myself an aggressive ensemble coated in cocoa. What's a street urchin without a little sugar, anyway? Everyone's gotta sweet tooth, even the greasy-haired garage rockers of 1994 who inspired this low-maintenance look. Much love and many thanks to The Cobrashop, for keepin' the vibes authentically vintage with their tattoo chokers, and to American Apparel, for gifting me this cozy cotton t-shirt (perfect for flexing a muscle). 



FROM TOP TO BOTTOM:

Beanie - H&M
Sunglasses - Cobrashop

Tattoo choker - Cobrashop
Leather jacket - Diesel
Brown tee - c/o American Apparel
Braided belt - YES STYLE
Shorts - Levi's
Boots - Skechers, secondhand

I will use the remainder of this space to remind all y'all who STILL seem to think that 'soft grunge' is an actual derivative of the anti-fashion, garage rock movement that you are miserably wrong. It is not. If it is fashion, it is not grunge. This outfit I wore here? Not technically grunge. Good attempt in the inspiration department, but not authentically... authentic. Creepers are punk, not grunge. Pastel hair is post-scene, not grunge. Flower crowns are bohemian, not grunge. Spiked chokers and black lipstick are goth, not grunge. Anything with a "follow here for more soft grunge" promo caption on Tumblr is adolescent, desperate, and annoying. NOT GRUNGE. Sorry bout it!

Everything is infinite,

Bebe Zeva

29 comments:

  1. Those 'soft grunge' tumblr's irritate me so much! This outfit is amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with every single word you said about grunge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome outfit you look cool :) Love your glasses! I really want the perfect black leather bomber but i do have a bomber jacket and i dont really want to spend money on another one :/ I agree with the grunge thing a style will never be anything but what it was when it originally came out

    Hayley xx
    www.addictionstoshopping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sunglasses! And the boots. They look like Doc Martens! I'm surprised that they're skechers. I gotta get a pair! :D
    Rory
    www.WearAboutsBlog.com
    CLICK HERE to enter the $50 Fifth and Orient Giveaway
    AND one more giveaway!! Visit my blog to enter both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing!
    http://enwellove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ur style PURE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great! and your style really inspires me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah great outfit, you're really one of my favorite fashionbloggers!

    www.laceandpearlsbyroos.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple but cute! Love the muscle!

    Lovecharliej.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You never fail to look amazing, even in the simplest of outfits. I love the discreet addition of the tattoo choker- I've been scouring Ebay for one for quite some time! And I totally agree with everything you said about grunge, argh, so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the outfit but feel even more love to your words about "soft grunge". SO TRUE, SO GLAD YOU MENTIONED IT. Those ads&promos are really annoying and distract me from scrolling my dash, yeah.
    Hope someday people will be able to draw the lines between what's fake and what's initial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is such a radical outfit! Totally something I would wear, I love the 90's grunge look and sound!
    Love the choker addition haha I remember those!! Thanks for the flashback xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pink lipstick contrasted against the black leather jacket makes for a fantastic combination!

    http://ucantaffordthis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your look !
    http://www.style-oh-livia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your boots! It's so lovely~

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this so much!!

    xo
    Kelly

    www.theluxurycloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this outfit so much, so cool!

    Pip x

    ReplyDelete
  18. really cool outfit ! :)

    http://munchmecat.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, I haven't read anything describe how pathetic all those soft grunge caption things on Tumblr are as well as you have here. I agree with every single point. Personally, I have colorful hair because I fucking like colorful hair. I think it's awesome and the fact that my parents have granted me the freedom to do so with my hair is something I've evidently taken advantage of. Your rule, Bebe.

    PS JOLLY RANCHA HAYUR

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would pretty much be naked everyday if American Apparel didn't exist. Haven't seen one of those chokers around since I was 11, so sweet.

    It's a LDN Thing

    ReplyDelete
  21. what is authentically grunge then? What aspects can make an outfit one that is correctly labeled "grunge"? I would love to learn.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. that jacket is really gorgeous & you are a beaut! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. love this so much!!....
    Online Soft Women Leather Jackets
    http://femensleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete